If you take a closer look at some of the most successful people throughout history, I bet you would find that the majority had a mentor or two along the way that made a positive impact on their lives. Harvard recently released a list of some of the most powerful people in the world, and I found it particularly interesting to see who some of these listed as their mentors. Read through this list of famous mentors yourself and see if you have the same feeling:
- Oprah Winfrey: Mentored by Mrs. Duncan, her 4th grade teacher.
- General Colin Powell: Mentored by his father, Luther Powell.
- Dr. Martin Luther King: Mentored by Benjamin E. Mays
- Henry David Thoreau: Mentored by Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Quincy Jones: Mentored by Ray Charles
- Mitch Albom: Mentored by Morrie Schwartz (Tuesdays with Morrie)
And while the following mentoring relationships are fictional, Hollywood can’t help but demonstrate how a strong mentor can positively shape a person:
- Luke Skywalker: Mentored by Obi-Wan Ben Kenobi (Star Wars)
- Harry Potter: Mentored by Professor Dumbledore
- US President Josiah Bartlet: Mentored by Dr. Benjamin E. Mays (West Wing)
As you can see, this list of famous mentors includes interesting pairs that bring together diverse backgrounds, both across differing generations and areas of expertise. At the Over My Shoulder Foundation, we believe that this type of mentoring relationship can be mutually beneficial to both the mentor and mentee and therefore strive to raise the awareness of “Mentorology.” Please contact us to learn more about our organization and how you can become involved.
Image Source: Alan Light