In an effort to break down the barriers that separate generations of people and cultures and raise the awareness of the impact of mentoring, the Over My Shoulder Foundation was born. The organization was founded by Grammy Award winner Patti Austin and songwriter Dawn Carroll, after the two had built a successful mentor-mentee relationship. Patti mentored Dawn early in her music career, and Dawn now mentors Patti as she aspires to become an interior designer.
The two women understand the power of mentorship and the positive effects that it can have on the lives of others. Dawn Carroll, Charlie Farren, Brynn Arens, and Barry Orms wrote the song “Over My Shoulder,” which was performed by Patti Austin and her mentee, Lianna Gutierrez. The song helped to inspire the organization, which was launched to cultivate “mentorology,” the art of mentoring, through entertainment-driven products and events.
The Over My Shoulder Foundation aims to achieve the following:
- Contribute to mentoring programs such as self-empowerment programs for girls and after school programs for at-risk youths that are currently underfunded due to the government’s cost-cuts in 2009.
- Develop educational “mentorology” programming to be used in corporations and universities.
- Establish a “mentorology” speaker series, which will feature mentoring stories and the positive life changes that came from it.
- Create a documentary about the power of mentoring to distribute along with other mentoring efforts.
- Design a website to function as a “mentoring umbrella” with up-to-date mentoring resources.
To learn more about our organization and ways that you can make a difference, please contact us today!
Image Source: overmyshoulderfoundation.org